Thanks to Pantelis Mouratoglou from our 4th Academy for sharing his thoughts:
1. The first major thought raised by Haydn Shaughnessy was whether businesses have really understood how significantly mobile is transforming their markets. That the big mobile communications providers find it challenging to keep up with the evolution of technology? Karim Lesina gave us a good example of how difficult it was for AT&T to keep up with 3G and 4G. The lesson was how important it was to invest in innovation.
2. Emerging markets vs Mobile – Today 170m mobile devices operate in Brazil. Revenue made in mobile 2013: $25bn with $70bn to be made from mobile in Brazil in 2017 according to Patricia Timoner. It was interesting to find out also that Brazilians do not mind ads — in fact they enjoy them!
3. Can I fund my app without going to the bank? In line with Sean Kane’s presentation, crowdfunding is increasing in volume ($-wise and player-wise). Communities like F6s help the start-up world to connect. (Note: he is a founder at F6s)
4. The top 5 countries with the highest combined revenue for both app stores (Google + Apple) are South Korea, China, Japan, US, UK. The best App analytics tools, according to Chris Book: Flurry, AppSee, X-Mobile Tracking.
5. Mick Rigby, Richard Downey and Tony Pearce all emphasized the significance of making your app discoverable and then keeping high levels of engagement with your customers post-download. Have a look at Peggy Anne Salz’s book — Apponomics. Jeanette Carlsson gave us the tip of focussing first on what the customer wants and needs before and be focussed about where to reach them.
6. If you want to know how to reach international audiences for your start-up in 3 years, look up Lee Omar’s journey — and I would also recommend readying about Patrick Bergel’s Chirp.io story.
7. Security - listening to David Rogers made me realise how important security is in this fast moving environment.
8. The power of media is to a certain extent shifting away from media providers to people thanks to mobile. Proof of citizen journalism according to Tineka Smith, is found during last year’s protests in Turkey, where people become the media. Catherine Mulligan on Internet of Things (IoT), created a picture where interconnectivity constructs a world full of smart cities. Life is supposed to be easier (smarter) with interconnectivity. But how sure can we be about that?
Overall, it was a great experience where I got most recent updates about mobile and met awesome people that have made it in mobile. I found out about the conference through The Mobile Academy so ultimately, thanks goes back to you guys!